Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Banoffee Pie (Banana Caramel Tart)

I love banana! Especially in desserts! I am not a big fan of caramel though, it’s too sweet and sticky, and to top it all, it is not good for your teeth! HAHA.
I made it about 3-4 weeks ago, during Ramadhan, and again about a week ago for the oral surgery department at the dental school. Everything was made from scratch, and I prefer it to stay that way. I don’t like it when my passion for baking is limited by the instant products available at the market, and of course they are not as good as home made goods J
Yes, it is time consuming to make everything from scratch, but you will definitely be happier if they all turn out good right? Okie dokie, here is the full recipe, I used a different recipe for the short crust pastry, but this one is similar to mine, so no dramas. I prefer to use thickened cream and sugar to make caramel and you can browse this page for the recipe. Those who are now scratching their heads and scared to start making their own caramel can also watch this YouTube video, just to make sure you get the right caramel colour and consistency. A few tricks for making good caramel;
  1. Please use good quality ingredients – there’s no short cuts for this!
  2. You need to leave them overnight in the refrigerator to thicken the sauce, or else it will be too runny.
  3. Fill the caramel up to ½ - ¾ from the base of the tart dish.
You can put the banana on top of the caramel or as a base, as for me I like it hidden underneath the caramel, just because it looks neat and also prevents the banana from going brown. I hope everyone will like this dessert as much as I do, till then guys! XO!












No comments:

Post a Comment